I share with you my current work.
Geekosa’s variant for Game of Thrones v2.1
Part 1: Starting positions
- 5 PT: Targaryen, Greyjoy
- 6 PT : Baratheon, Stark, Martell
- 7 PT : Arryn, Tyrell
- 8 PT: Lannister
- IT track: Stark, Arryn, Tyrell, Baratheon, Lannister, Martell, Greyjoy
- Fiefdoms track: Greyjoy, Tyrell, Martell, Arryn, Stark, Baratheon, Lannister
- KC track: Lannister, Baratheon, Arryn, Tyrell, Stark, Martell, Greyjoy
- Lannister gains a FM in Lannisport.
- Lannister loses the “erratum bonus ship”.
- Tyrell FM in High Garden becomes a KN.
- Baratheon gains 2 FM in Storm’s End with a 2-str garrison and loses 1 FM in Kingswood and DragonStone.
- Baratheon gains an additional FM in Dragonstone if Targaryen is in play.
- Arryn KN in the Eyrie is replaced by one FM
- Targaryen gains 1 additional ship in Pentos port and loses the 2 ships in Bay of Pentos.
- If a player declares his support with an army during a battle, the corresponding support order is discarded at the end of the battle.
- A castle/stronghold offers a +1 in strength bonus if there is a defense order placed on it. This bonus is part of the defense order and is also doubled in case of Catelin Stark use (see Part 3).
- A house can pay 1 PT to skip its turn without playing an order.
- Balon Greyjoy reduces the enemy hero strength to 1 instead of 0.
- Catelin Stark, clarification : +1 bonus of defense order in castle is also doubled (see Part 2).
- Queen of thorns clarification : A support order is discarded right after the battle. So Queen of Thorns still can "cancel a support".
- Houses use their “Deck A” (which are Deck A for Targ, MoD Deck for Arryn, base deck for the other houses). When a house plays its last house card, if we are on turn#5 or later, the player gets the 7 cards from the “Deck B” instead (which is Deck B for Targaryen, and decks from FfC for Arryn and DwD for the base houses).
- Wildings Attack makes the wildlings token move right before the attack.
- Each turn, after Westeros card IV activation, reveal the first card of Westeros decks I, II & III. These cards are also revealed at the beginning of the game.
- Deck I Last Day of Winter card is replaced by the famine card from FFC, which has this effect: “Give all players a -1 in Supply”.
- One Deck I Mustering card is replaced by 1 Rally the Men card from FFC.
The IT track
- position #1 to position #5 gives an ability to the house
- Has the "Hand of the King" title. It gives him the IT token.
- Has the "Master of coin" title. At the beginning of the CP phase, the Master of coin can make all CP token give 1 more PT this turn.
- Has the "Master of ships" title. Once per turn, the Master of ship may consider one of his order placed on the sea as a star equivalent order when he executes it.
- Has the "Master of Laws" title. If the hand of the King is attacked but win the fight, for every house who participated in the "treason against the government" the Master of laws may choses a punishment. He may decrease the house by one rank in one track, or decrease the supply of the house by one or make him loose 2 PTs or do nothing. The punishments are chosen house by house.
- Has the "Grand Master" title. Can look at the top card of the wildling deck once per turn.
- the VSB may not be used against the Hand of the King while attacking, but can still be used in defense against the Hand of the King.
- The houses in #6, #7 and #8 may use a star at a cost. It costs 1PT for #6, 2PT for #7 and 3PT for #8. For instance, if #7 used a star order during the revelation of the orders, he has to pay 2 PT.
- The Raven token does not allow to look at the top card of the Wildling deck anymore.
- Right before a supply update, players can sell or give some of their barrels.
- Recruiting a ship outside a port cost you 2 recruit points. It still costs 1 Recruit point to recruit inside a port.
- Savvy Steward card makes you ignore the -1 effect of famine for the entire game in addition of its other effects (see Part 6).
- If you are not the Targaryen player, Spy Master card makes you mode 2 steps ahead in the court track.
- Players can bribe each other. Bribe is binding for an immediate effect. For exemple "If I attack this territory right now, you support me" is biding. "I give you some PT and you don't attack me on your current move" is binding. But "we don't attack each other this turn" is not binding.
Part 8: Units & Battles
- When attacking a castle/stronghold: strength = 3 and deny the +1 bonus effect of the castle/stronghold (if there is a defense order on it, see Part 2).
- In all the other cases, strength = 0.
- Siege Tower is downgraded into a routed FM if it must retreat.
- At the beginning of each odd turn (1,3,5,7,9), we bid for the vassals. The best bidder choses a vassal, the second choose another…. IT owner split ties.
- Vassals does not change the starting track positions on the tracks.
- Vassals cannot hold IT token, VSB or crow token. If a vassal is 1st on a track, the token moves to the highest rank player on that track. On IT track, the highest ranked player gains the IT token but loose other abilities from the track (he cannot be hand of the King + Master of coin for instance).
- Vassals use those orders coming from the house orders : March, Def*, Raid, Support, Conso*. Only 3 orders may be used each turn.
- Vassals may have PT. They start the game with 2PT.
- When a vassal wins a fight, the vassal gains 1PT in addition of the vassal’s owner.
- On game of Thrones effect, vassals win 1 PT if they still have they home area.
- When a vassal army leaves a land area, vassal owner must put a vassal PT in the empty land area. If the vassal does not own any PT, use a PT coming form vassal available PT instead.
- Vassals can use its CP order to gain PT instead of recruiting.
- Vassals may bid for the tracks. Vassal owner choose how many PT the vassal bid.
- Vassals may bid on Wildlings Track but is unaffected by the wildling cards effect. He cannot be the highest bidder nor the lowest.
- You cannot sell or give your vassal’s barrels.
- If a Vassal does not own his capital anymore, when the Westeros card Recruitment is played, he may recruit in one of its castles/strongholds.
- A vassal does not have any house abilities.
These rules replace entirely the base rule of dragons :
- Dragons Strength is upgraded on turn 2/4/6/9 instead of 2/4/6/8/10. Dragons still are able to reach 5-str with fire made blood effect.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can fly, and thus move to an area which is up to 4 areas away. The areas crossed during the move may be sea areas or areas controlled by another player.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 are still considered as land units but they can support a battle on an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. They also can raid an adjacent sea area.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can use a march order to attack an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. If the dragons win, the defeated opponent army must retreat and be routed, and the dragons come back in the area from which they marched.
- Targaryen player cannot make an alliance with another player (see part 11).
Part 11: Alliances (optional)
- At the end of the Westeros Phase, the players may declare an alliance :
- They need to pay 1 PT each. The PT are put on the victory track, one step ahead of their current VP counter. For instance, Lannister has 3 VP and stark has 4 VP and they make an alliance. Lannister player will put a PT on the step 4 VP and Stark will put his PT on the step 5 VP.
- When an alliance is created, the two players exchange their "vassal starting position card" in order to remind the alliance.
- An alliance may be broken by a player every turn during the end phase. If so, discard the PT from the VP track.
- A player cannot be allied to 2 players at the same time
- A player cannot make an alliance with a vassal
- At the end of each turn, an alliance may win (shared victory among the two players) if they meet those two conditions :
- The total of VP of the two players have to be greater or equal to 10.
- Each player of the alliance has to have their VP token at least equal to the PT they put on the VP track.
- A player in an alliance may not win alone if he reaches 7VP during the turn. He has to wait the breaking of the alliance at the end of the turn.
- A player cannot attack, raid, or support against his ally, or one of his vassal.
Special Part: House abilities
Each house has at least 1 special power, see below.
- When a Westeros card named “Winter is Coming” is drawn, Stark player may use any star orders he wants during this turn (he ignores star limits and the forbidding orders).
- Stark player can use a Land Raid* order as a March executed in the Raid phase. This March cannot trigger a battle, and he cannot leave a PT in the empty area.
- Greyjoy player cannot buy a loan from the Iron Bank. The IB order is considered as a void order.
- You can use Raid* to raid 2 Support/Defense/Raid/CP orders adjacent to your area.
- Recruiting a ship outside a port costs you 1 recruitment point instead of 2.
- At the end of the turn, Lannister player gains 1 PT.
- Lannister player can use a land Raid* order to choose a house who has an army adjacent to the order. You may place the chosen house at the last position of the IT track. Lannister player must discard his Cersei Lannister card to activate this ability.
- If Lannister player is selecting a 3PT/5PT loan for buy, he may reveal the top card of the loan deck and buy this loan instead, for the same price. If he choses to buy the inital loan, he put back the revealed card on the top of the loan deck.
- In battle, if there is more Arryn KN than the total opponent KN, Arryn side has +1 bonus during this battle. This ability may also be triggered if Arryn is supporting and not fighting.
- If Arryn wins a battle, he may pay 1 PT to upgrade one of its participating FM into a KN.
- After “Westeros cards reveal” step, Arryn player may launch a bidding of the tracks. Arryn player must discard his Littlefinger card to activate this ability. Arryn player may use this ability only if there was no bidding effect caused by CoK or DWDW this turn).
- Baratheon may use a Raid* to destroy a defense or a support order anywhere in the land of Westeros (not in sea). Baratheon player must discard his Melisandre card to activate this ability.
- In a battle, if the house card Baratheon player played has a printed combat strength at least superior of 2 points than the opponent house card, add a Sword symbol to the Baratheon house card.
- Tyrell does not suffer from the -1 of the famine card.
- Tyrell player may use a land CP* order to choose a player who has an army adjacant to the order. Tyrell player gains the usual PT from this order and steal 2 PT from that player. Tyrell player needs to discard Margaery Tyrell card to activate this ability.
- Martell may pay 2PT to transform a sword symbol into a fortress symbol (and the other way around) when he plays a house card.
- Martell can use a Land Raid* to choose an adjacent army. The owner of this army must discard one of his House cards with the least strength value. Martell player must discard his Nymeria Sand card to activate this ability.
- Targaryen stars (court track) is equal to the number of dragons he controls.
- When Targaryen player plays a Daenerys card, he may pay 2PT to add a sword for each Dragon with str ≥ 2 participating in the battle.
- If Targaryen player controls King’s Landing or two castles/strongholds in Westeros, he is now able to bid on IT track and fiefdom track.
Reminder: Turn phases
- Westeros Phase
- Westeros Deck I – II – III - IV
- Westeros cards reveal
- Arryn ability usage
- Vassals bid (odd turns only)
- Alliance declaration
- Planning phase
- Choose secretly orders
- Choose secretly orders for vassals
- Reveal orders
- Crow activation
- Execution Phase
- Raid orders
- March orders
- Master of Coins ability
- CP orders
- End Phase
- Breaking Alliances