[GAME] Kingmaking rules

Suggest, vote and comment on ideas for improving Swords and Ravens! (game, website, forum).
Tex
Reactions: 1
Favorite AGOT House: Arryn

This is a hot topic on any AGOT site.. While most of the rules are fairly straight forward (see here), the kingmaking one will always have two sides..

I think that it should not be too restrictive (impossible to enforce), but it should be some form of basic rules to allow players to get punished for the most severe cases.

Proposition:
8) You are not allowed to help someone else win, by doing an action that is negatively impacting your own house (kingmaking).
If you experience something that is obviously kingmaking, please report the player and write your reasoning behind the accusation.

Examples of kingmaking:
- Actively supporting another player that would then gain his 7th castle.
- Moving out of a castle with your units, leaving it open for another player to take it and by doing so reach 6th or 7th castle. Leaving it open will allow a player to take two castles in one march, one free and another one by combat, without the other players being able to react.
- Not taking a castle from your enemy, when you were in a position to take it without negative impact on your own standing. (for example, not taking an open castle, from an opponent who would otherwise get 7th castle on his next march).

Case example of that:
Here, Lannister is attacking Tyrell (in an area with only a barrel), instead of taking the free castle at Riverrun. By doing so, GJ is able to take Crackclaw point on his march (which was immediately after Lannister), thus reaching the 7th castle, so none else are able to respond. If Lannister had taken the free castle at Riverrun, GJ would be unable to take both Crackclaw and Riverrun. (he had no power tokens, and thus could only move with one unit).
Ranked games will be treated more seriously in terms of striking down on kingmaking.

Example of something that isn’t kingmaking:
- Someone is able to win this round, regardless of what you do. (you cannot prevent both). Then you should just try to do what is in the best interest for your house/stay inactive.
- In the 10th round, supporting your ally in a move that gains him a victory. You were not in a position to win anyway.
Gereon
Reactions: 11
Favorite AGOT House: Stark

I understand that it might be frustrating if someone kingmakes another person. But for several reasons I disagree with kingmaking rules on S&R.

1. It’s a community rule. The official rules allow „kingmaking“ so fmpov you should be allowed to do everything you want like you play it in real.
2. Reviewing kingmaking reports is lot of work.
3. Reviewing kingmaking reports needs timetravelling. The game log alone is not enough atm.
4. Newbies might kingmake others by accident because they just didn’t see the win coming.

So instead I would go for a blacklist/honor system. When someone kingmakes another player you can reduce your personal honor value for that player up to blacklisting him. That way you don’t need to play with him again and no-one needs to review KM reports.

Just my 5 cents
Tex

1. It's online, you will experience many more toxic/trolls/flaming people. (which will basically never happen in real life, obviously you are not friends/inviting such gamers to your home games).
2. It isn't as much of extra work, as there are such strict requirements. (as mentioned, Thronemaster have FAR more coverage in their KM rules, which must produce quite a lot of work).
3. Sure, that one is valid. We need proper support in game logs to do this, but that isn't impossible to implement.

Also, while I of course want the blacklist/honor system, there are potentially a lot of people that would have their games ruined, just because one person is trolling (so if I blacklist him, that doesn't help another person in the next game).
geekosa
Reactions: 2

As I said on Discord, an honor system would be more efficient.
And allow players with at least 5 games to play ranked.

So nobody could create again an account if its honor value is too low.

Fun part : I remember intentionnaly King game someone in a games I played with friend. But It was not a troll.
I prefered to let a 6VP to take my castle.
Because If i defend myself and avoid him to take it, another player would have taken it, and I would have bien 4th instead of 3rd or something of this kind (I don't remember well)
Tex

geekosa wrote: 17 May 2020, 14:42 As I said on Discord, an honor system would be more efficient.
And allow players with at least 5 games to play ranked.

So nobody could create again an account if its honor value is too low.

Fun part : I remember intentionnaly King game someone in a games I played with friend. But It was not a troll.
I prefered to let a 6VP to take my castle.
Because If i defend myself and avoid him to take it, another player would have taken it, and I would have bien 4th instead of 3rd or something of this kind (I don't remember well)
Then it would not count, as you just did what was best for your house and your standing :) (it's mentioned specifically).
geekosa
Reactions: 2

I know it's mentionned, I shared a funny Kingmaking I made ^^
1 Image