I share with you my current work.
Geekosa’s variant for Game of Thrones v1.7
Part 1: Starting positions
- 4 PT: Greyjoy, Targaryen
- 5 PT: Stark, Baratheon, Martell, Arryn
- 6 PT: Tyrell
- 7 PT: Lannister
- IT : Baratheon, Stark, Lannister, Tyrell, Arryn, Greyjoy, Martell
- VSB : Greyjoy, Arryn, Martell, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, Lannister
- Court : Lannister, Baratheon, Tyrell, Stark, Martell, Arryn, Greyjoy
- Lannister gains a FM in KL.
- Lannister loses the “erratum bonus ship”.
- Tyrell FM in High Garden becomes a KN.
- Baratheon gains 2 FM in Storm’s End with a 2-str garrison and loses 1 FM in Kingswood and DragonStone.
- Baratheon gains an additional FM in Dragonstone if Targaryen is in play.
- Targaryen gains 1 additional ship in Pentos port and loses the 2 ships in Bay of Pentos.
These rules replace entirely the base rule of dragons :
- Dragons Strength is upgraded on turn 2/4/6/9 instead of 2/4/6/8/10. Dragons still are able to reach 5-str with fire made blood effect.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can fly, and thus move to an area which is up to 4 areas away. The areas crossed during the move may be sea areas or areas controlled by another player.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 are still considered as land units but they can support a battle on an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. They also can raid an adjacent sea area.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can use a march order to attack an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. If the dragons win, the defeated opponent army must retreat and be routed, and the dragons come back in the area from which they marched.
- If a player declares his support with an army during a battle, the corresponding support order is discarded at the end of the battle.
- A castle/stronghold offers a +1 in strength bonus if there is a player defense order placed on it. This bonus is part of the defense order and is also doubled in case of Catelin Stark use (see Part 4).
- A house can pay 1 PT to skip its turn without playing an order.
- Balon Greyjoy reduces the enemy hero strength to 1 instead of 0.
- Catelin Stark, clarification : +1 bonus of defense order in castle is also doubled.
- Queen of thorns clarification : A support order is discarded right after the battle. So Queen of Thorns still can "cancel a support".
- Houses use their “Deck A” (which are Deck A for Targ, MoD Deck for Arryn, base deck for the other houses). When a house plays its last house card, if we are on turn#5 or later, the player gets the 7 cards from the “Deck B” instead (which is Deck B for Targaryen, and decks from FfC for Arryn and DwD for the base houses)
Iron Throne Track
- At the end of each turn, players (not vassals) #1 to #3 in IT track gains 1 PT.
- Controlling King’s Landing gives you +1 bonus for the IT track bidding.
- #5 to #7 can “buy” a star: they can play one star order but have to pay for it (cost = 1PT for #5, 2PT for #6 and 3PT for #7)
- A player decides how to use the PT of his vassals when bidding (see part 10).
- Loan costs are 1/3/5 instead of 1/4/7
- Savvy Steward makes you ignore the -1 effect of famine for the entire game in addition of its other effects (see Part 7).
- Spy Master make you instantaneously move to the 1st position in the court track in addition of its other effects. This additional effect does not apply on Targaryen player.
- Deck I Last Day of Winter card is replaced by the famine card from FFC, which has this effect: “Update the supply of all players while giving them a -1 malus”.
- Right before a supply update, players can sell or give some of their barrels.
- Recruiting a ship outside a port cost you 2 recruit points. It still costs 1PT to recruit inside a port.
- Transforming a KN into SE (or the other way around) cost you 1PT.
- At the end of each turn, the garrison tokens come back into play if the area is controlled by the natural owner of the area. Storm’s End natural owner is Baratheon.
- Dark wings, Dark words effect is changed into “Messenger Raven owner chooses at least 1 track. For all chosen tracks, in the usual track order, #1 gains x PT (like Game of Thrones card), #2 gains 2PT and #3 gains 1 PT, then all players bid on this track.”
- Wildings Attack make the wildlings token move before the attack.
- After Westeros card IV activation, reveal the first card of Westeros decks I, II & III. These cards are also revealed at the beginning of the game.
Part 9: Units & Battles
- When attacking a castle/stronghold: strength = 3 and deny the +1 bonus effect of the castle/stronghold (if there is a defense order on it, see Part 3).
- In all the other cases, strength = 1.
- Siege Tower is downgraded into a routed FM if it must retreat.
- At the beginning of each odd turn (1,3,5,7,9), we bid for the vassals. The best bidder choses a vassal, the second choose another…. IT owner split ties.
- A player must choose a vassal with a lower IT rank than him. If all vassals are higher ranked than the player, he doesn’t choose a vassal.
- If a vassal can only be taken by the IT owner (for example if the vassal is 2nd on IT track), then the IT owner gets automatically it before bidding and he cannot bid.
- Vassals may have VSB & MR track token.
- Case VSB token: can be used only in the vassal battle, not in the vassal’s owner battle.
- Case MR token: can be used to change the aera of 1 vassal order or exchange the area of 2 vassal orders.
- Vassals cannot be 1st on IT track, for whatever reason. 2nd is the best place they can get. Shift the highest ranked player in #1 in that case.
- Vassals does not change the starting track positions any more. The exception is Baratheon for IT track (because a vassal cannot be 1st in this track), which shifts the highest ranked player into #1. I suggest not to use Baratheon as vassal if possible.
- Vassals now have those orders coming from the house orders : March, Def*, Raid, Support*, Conso*
- Vassals can have PT. They start the game with 2PT.
- When a vassal wins a fight, the vassal gains 1PT in addition of the vassal’s owner.
- On game of Thrones effect, vassals win 1 PT if they still have they home area. On Dark Wings Dark Words card, vassals gets PT the same way as player house.
- When a vassal army leaves a land area, vassal owner must put a vassal PT in the empty land area. If the vassal does not own any PT, use a PT coming form vassal available PT instead.
- Vassals can use its CP order to gain PT instead of recruiting.
- Vassals owner decide how the vassal use its PT during track bidding. He must bid as equally as possible between tracks. For example if the vassal have 4 PT, he may bid 1/1/2 or 1/1/1 or 0/0/0 or example
- Vassals may bid on Wildlings Track but is unaffected by the wildling card. He cannot be the highest bidder nor the lowest.
- You cannot sell or give your vassal’s barrels.
- If a Vassal does not own his capital anymore, when the Westeros card Recruitment is played, he may recruit in one of its castles/strongholds.
- A vassal does not have any house abilities.
Each house has at least 1 special power, see later.
- When a Westeros card named “Winter is Coming” is drawn, Stark player may use any star orders he wants during this turn (he ignores star limits and the forbidding orders).
- Stark player can use a Land Raid* order as a March executed in the Raid phase. This March cannot trigger a battle, and he cannot leave a PT behind.
- Greyjoy player cannot buy a loan from the Iron Bank. The IB order is considered as a normal CP order.
- You can use Raid* to raid 2 Support/Defense/Raid/CP orders adjacent to your area.
- If Lannister uses a CP* order to collect PT, Lannister player gains an additional PT.
- If Lannister player is selecting a 3PT/5PT loan for buy, he may reveal the top card of the loan deck and buy this loan instead, for the same price. If he choses to buy the inital loan, he put back the revealed card on the top of the loan deck.
- Lannister player can use a land CP* order and choose a house who has an army adjacant to the order. Lannister player moves this house at the bottom of a track. Lannister player needs to discard Cersei Lannister card to active this ability.
- In battle, if there is more Arryn KN than the total opponent KN, Arryn side has +1 bonus during this battle. This ability may also be triggered if Arryn is supporting and not fighting.
- If Arryn wins a battle, he may pay 1 PT to upgrade one of its participating FM into a KN.
- After “Westeros cards reveal” step, Arryn player can launch a CoK effect. He can use this ability only if there was no bidding effect this turn (CoK or DWDW). Arryn must discard his Littlefinger card to activate this ability.
- Baratheon can use a Raid* to destroy a defense or a support order anywhere in the land of Westeros (not in sea). Baratheon player must discard his Melisandre card to activate this ability.
- In a battle, if the house card you played has a printed combat strength at least superior of 2 points than the opponent house card, add a Sword symbol to your house card.
- Tyrell does not suffer from the -1 of the famine card.
- Tyrell player can use a land CP* order to choose a player who has an army adjacant to the order. Tyrell gain the usual PT from this order and the player must give 2 PT to the Tyrell player. Tyrell player needs to discard Margaery Tyrell card to active this ability.
- Martell can pay 2PT to transform a sword symbol into a fortress symbol (and the other way around) when he plays a house card.
- Martell can use a Land Raid* to choose an adjacent army. The owner of this army must discard one of his House cards with the least strength value. Martell player must discard his Nymeria Sand card to activate this ability.
- Targaryen stars (court track) is limited by the number of dragons he controls.
- When Targaryen player plays a Daenerys card, he may pay 2PT to add a sword for each Dragon with str ≥ 2 participating in the battle.
- If Targaryen player controls King’s Landing or two castles/strongholds in Westeros, he is now able to bid for IT track and VSB track.
Reminder: Turn phases
- Westeros Phase
- Westeros Deck I – II – III - IV
- Westeros cards reveal
- Arryn ability usage
- Vassals bid (odd turns only)
- Planning phase
- Choose secretly orders
- Reveal orders
- Crow activation
- Execution Phase
- Raid orders
- March orders
- CP orders
- End Turn Phase
- PT Gains (IT Track & Lannister)