I share with you my current work.
Geekosa’s variant for Game of Thrones v2.1
Part 1: Starting positions
- 5 PT: Targaryen
- 8 PT : Greyjoy
- 10 PT: Stark, Baratheon, Martell, Tyrell, Arryn
- 12 PT: Lannister
- Track: Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, Martell, Arryn, Greyjoy
- Small Council : to be determined by bidding before the beginning of the game (see Part 5)
- Lannister gains a FM in Lannisport.
- Lannister loses the “erratum bonus ship”.
- Tyrell FM in High Garden becomes a KN.
- Baratheon gains 2 FM in Storm’s End with a 2-str garrison and loses 1 FM in Kingswood and DragonStone.
- Baratheon gains an additional FM in Dragonstone if Targaryen is in play.
- Targaryen gains 1 additional ship in Pentos port and loses the 2 ships in Bay of Pentos.
- If a player declares his support with an army during a battle, the corresponding support order is discarded at the end of the battle.
- A castle/stronghold offers a +1 in strength bonus if there is a defense order placed on it. This bonus is part of the defense order and is also doubled in case of Catelin Stark use (see Part 3).
- A house can pay 1 PT to skip its turn without playing an order.
- Balon Greyjoy reduces the enemy hero strength to 1 instead of 0.
- Catelin Stark, clarification : +1 bonus of defense order in castle is also doubled (see Part 2).
- Queen of thorns clarification : A support order is discarded right after the battle. So Queen of Thorns still can "cancel a support".
- Doran Martell, Varys, Euro Crow's Eye B and Ser Gerris Drinkwater clarification : the ability is used on the One Track.
- Houses use their “Deck A” (which are Deck A for Targ, MoD Deck for Arryn, base deck for the other houses). When a house plays its last house card, if we are on turn#5 or later, the player gets the 7 cards from the “Deck B” instead (which is Deck B for Targaryen, and decks from FfC for Arryn and DwD for the base houses). Deck A cards which are not in the council are then removed from the game.
- Wildings Attack makes the wildlings token move right before the attack.
- Each turn, after Westeros card IV activation, reveal the first card of Westeros decks I, II & III. These cards are also revealed at the beginning of the game, right after the initial Small Council bidding (see Part 5).
The One Track
- There is only one track, which gives the turn order and resolve ties in battle. No influence token is given to the 1st player.
- The Small Council is composed by 5 titles : Hand of the King, Lord Commander, Master of Ships, Master of Whisperers and Master of Coins.
- Hand of the king : has the IT Token.
- Lord Commander : has the VSB token.
- Master of Ships : can play two orders on the same naval army once per turn.
- Master of Whisperers : has the Raven token.
- Master of Coins : gains two aditionnal PTs at the end of the turn.
- Every house (except Targaryen, see Special Part) has 1 star and 1 additional star for each people of the small council he controls. For exemple if Lannister player controls the Hand of the King and the Master of Coins, he will be allowed to play 3 stars.
- When a Clash of Kings (or DWDW) is activated, do this :
- Put the Hand of the King character card into his owner discard pile. Everyone bid PTs and a house card for Hand of the King title. Add the card printed strength and the PTs to know the value of your bid. The one who has the best bid value (IT Token splits ties) put his house card at the Hand of the king title location and gain Hand of the King abilities (IT token). The other players take back their house card in their hand.
- Do the same for Lord Commander, Master of Ships, Master of Whisperers and Master of Coins titles in this order.
- Bid PT on the the One track. Update it. IT token splits ties.
- At the beginning of the game, the small council is empty. Players bid for the titles of the council right before the Westeros cards reveal (see Part 4), before the game really begins. For this start bidding of the Hand of the King, Baratheon split ties.
- House cards in the small council cannot be used into battle.
- When a player takes back the cards in his hand, he does not take back cards appointed in the council, of course.
- At the end of a turn, a player can revocate one of his card appointed in the council. This player takes back the card in hand and everybody bid for the title with the usual rules.
- When a player goes from Deck A to Deck B (see Part 3), if there is a character in the council who shares the name with a Deck B card, replace it with the Deck B version. For example if Lannister has Jamie Lannister as Master of Coins and play his last house card in the battle during turn 5, he has now to use the Deck B Lannister Deck. In this Deck B, there is a Jamie Lannister card, so he replaces the Jamie Lannister A by the Jaimie Lannister B as Master of Coins.
- When a player goes from Deck A to Deck B, cards which does not share name with B card stay as they are in the council. When the A card leaves the council, remove it from the game (put it with all the Deck A cards removed from the game).
- The VSB token may be used to add +1 on final combat strengh on a fight on which you participate.
- Deck I Last Day of Winter card is replaced by the famine card from FFC, which has this effect: “Update the supply of all players while giving them a -1 malus”.
- Right before a supply update, players can sell or give some of their barrels.
- Recruiting a ship outside a port cost you 2 recruit points. It still costs 1PT to recruit inside a port.
- Loan costs are 1/3/5 instead of 1/4/7
- Savvy Steward card makes you ignore the -1 effect of famine for the entire game in addition of its other effects (see Part 3).
- If you are not the Targaryen player, Spy Master card revocates the current Master of Whisperers and appoint as Master of Whisperers the house card in your hand with the highest printed strengh.
- Every player except Targaryen player gains 1 PT at the end of the turn. Master of Coins owner gains 2 additional PT (see Part 5).
- Players can bribe each other. Bribe is binding for an immediate effect. For exemple "If I attack this territory right now, you support me" is biding. "I give you some PT and you don't attack me on your current move" is binding. But "we don't attack each other this turn" is not binding.
Part 8: Units & Battles
- When attacking a castle/stronghold: strength = 3 and deny the +1 bonus effect of the castle/stronghold (if there is a defense order on it, see Part 2).
- In all the other cases, strength = 0.
- Siege Tower is downgraded into a routed FM if it must retreat.
- At the beginning of each odd turn (1,3,5,7,9), we bid for the vassals. The best bidder choses a vassal, the second choose another…. IT owner split ties.
- Vassals does not change the starting track positions on the One track.
- Vassals use those orders coming from the house orders : March, Def*, Raid, Support, Conso*
- Vassals may have PT. They start the game with 2PT.
- When a vassal wins a fight, the vassal gains 1PT in addition of the vassal’s owner.
- On game of Thrones effect, vassals win 1 PT if they still have they home area.
- When a vassal army leaves a land area, vassal owner must put a vassal PT in the empty land area. If the vassal does not own any PT, use a PT coming form vassal available PT instead.
- Vassals can use its CP order to gain PT instead of recruiting.
- Vassals play with the original house cards of their house. At each battle done by the vassal, the vassal owner takes 3 random cards from the avialable house cards of the vassal and play one of them. The played card goes to the discard pile, the others go back to the available cards.
- Whe a vassal deck has less than 3 cards, he take all the played cards from the discard pile and put it into the available cards. If we are on turn 5 or later, switch to the deckB instead.
- Vassals cannot bid for the council.
- Vassals may bid for the One Track. Vassal owner choose how many PT vassal bid.
- Vassals may bid on Wildlings Track but is unaffected by the wildling cards effect. He cannot be the highest bidder nor the lowest.
- You cannot sell or give your vassal’s barrels.
- If a Vassal does not own his capital anymore, when the Westeros card Recruitment is played, he may recruit in one of its castles/strongholds.
- A vassal does not have any house abilities.
These rules replace entirely the base rule of dragons :
- Dragons Strength is upgraded on turn 2/4/6/9 instead of 2/4/6/8/10. Dragons still are able to reach 5-str with fire made blood effect.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can fly, and thus move to an area which is up to 4 areas away. The areas crossed during the move may be sea areas or areas controlled by another player.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 are still considered as land units but they can support a battle on an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. They also can raid an adjacent sea area.
- Dragons with Strength ≥ 2 can use a march order to attack an adjacent sea area. If they do so, the strength of each dragon is reduced by 1 during the battle. If the dragons win, the defeated opponent army must retreat and be routed, and the dragons come back in the area from which they marched.
Special Part: House abilities
Each house has at least 1 special power, see below.
- When a Westeros card named “Winter is Coming” is drawn, Stark player may use any star orders he wants during this turn (he ignores star limits and the forbidding orders).
- Stark player can use a Land Raid* order as a March executed in the Raid phase. This March cannot trigger a battle, and he cannot leave a PT in the empty area.
- Greyjoy player cannot buy a loan from the Iron Bank. The IB order is considered as a void order.
- You can use Raid* to raid 2 Support/Defense/Raid/CP orders adjacent to your area.
- If Lannister uses a CP* order to collect PT, Lannister player gains an additional PT.
- Lannister player can use a land CP* order to gain the usual PT and choose a house who has an army adjacent to the order. Lannister player revokes one character of this house from the council. Everyone execpt the targeted player bid to replace the revoked character. The revoked house card goes back to his owner hand. Lannister player must discard his Cersei Lannister card to activate this ability.
- If Lannister player is selecting a 3PT/5PT loan for buy, he may reveal the top card of the loan deck and buy this loan instead, for the same price. If he choses to buy the inital loan, he put back the revealed card on the top of the loan deck.
- In battle, if there is more Arryn KN than the total opponent KN, Arryn side has +1 bonus during this battle. This ability may also be triggered if Arryn is supporting and not fighting.
- If Arryn wins a battle, he may pay 1 PT to upgrade one of its participating FM into a KN.
- After “Westeros cards reveal” step, Arryn player may launch a bidding of the Small Council or the One Track. Arryn player must discard his Littlefinger card to activate this ability. Arryn player may use this ability only if there was no bidding effect caused by CoK or DWDW this turn).
- Baratheon may use a Raid* to destroy a defense or a support order anywhere in the land of Westeros (not in sea). Baratheon player must discard his Melisandre card to activate this ability.
- In a battle, if the house card Baratheon player played has a printed combat strength at least superior of 2 points than the opponent house card, add a Sword symbol to the Baratheon house card.
- Tyrell does not suffer from the -1 of the famine card.
- Tyrell player may use a land CP* order to choose a player who has an army adjacant to the order. Tyrell player gains the usual PT from this order and steal 2 PT from that player. Tyrell player needs to discard Margaery Tyrell card to activate this ability.
- Martell may pay 2PT to transform a sword symbol into a fortress symbol (and the other way around) when he plays a house card.
- Martell can use a Land Raid* to choose an adjacent army. The owner of this army must discard one of his House cards with the least strength value. Martell player must discard his Nymeria Sand card to activate this ability.
- Targaryen stars (court track) is equal to the number of dragons he controls.
- When Targaryen player plays a Daenerys card, he may pay 2PT to add a sword for each Dragon with str ≥ 2 participating in the battle.
- If Targaryen player controls King’s Landing or two castles/strongholds in Westeros, he is now able to bid for One track.
Reminder: Turn phases
- Westeros Phase
- Westeros Deck I – II – III - IV
- Westeros cards reveal
- Arryn ability usage
- Vassals bid (odd turns only)
- Planning phase
- Choose secretly orders
- Reveal orders
- Crow activation
- Execution Phase
- Raid orders
- March orders
- CP orders
- End Turn Phase
- PT Gains (bonus for Master of Coins)
- Players can revokes their members of the Small Council