- The Butcher Variant -
The basic idea is that each House gains points per unit they kill, instead of castles and such. There's currently a game going on with this options in testing: https://swordsandravens.net/play/c851d8 ... 9ef7d2e569
And a spreadsheet tracking progress: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... share_link
Rules & Points
The Point-Value of each Unit is related both to the mustering cost and battle value:
- Footman: 1 Point
- Knight: 2 Points
- Ship: 1 Point
- Siege Engine (Attacking): 4 points
- Siege Engine (Defending): 0 points
- Dragon: Points equal to current Strength
The basic idea proved easy on paper and assigning points per Footmen, Knights and Ship was a straightforward thing.
But Siege Engines and Dragons showed later in game that they should be counted differently and Combat Value was the factor generally agreed. That way, killing a Fully Grown Dragon is more valuable than killing a Wyrmling.
I personally have my doubts about Siege Engines, I agree with keeping the 4 value for destroying a Siege that is attacking you, but I think that going out of your position to destroy someone else's Siege Engine should have a good value too. Maybe 1 or 2 Points. This would encourage player to go hunting Siege Engines walking around.
We also found mid-game that there are other instance where units get killed and should be taken into account:
- Wildling Attacks: These should be counted per above rules, and assigned to a neutral list
- Iron Bank: When a house fails to pay their debt, the holder of the Valyrian Sword chooses to kill one of debtor's units. We're counting these in favor of Valyrian Sword holder, but I think should be also counted in the neutral list.
- Faceless Men: We counted these in favor of the player taking the Loan, but maybe should also be counted as neutral.
- Routed Units: Despite having 0 battle value, we count them as normal for points sake.
- Garrisons: We assigned them the value they have (2 in general and 4 for The Eyrie) despite not being strictly units. This encourages players to conquer other House's Home Areas. Pentos' garrison, that resets each time Targaryen gains control, should maybe only be counted once.
- Neutral Garrisons: For the moment I assigned them 0 Value. Doing otherwise would mean an important easy collection of points to the players near both King's Landing and Braavos.
The idea of a Neutral Counter for other fallen than the Houses' comes from the idea that the realm is in a bigger danger than just a tyrant King. I always thought that for the last turn should be some kind of threat that ends up with everyone losing. I still have to see/count if that would be possible, but it's an idea.
The game is currently in round 5 with standings well distributed, and curiously enough, not directly related to normal game control. One of the leading Houses (Lannister) is in a though spot and probably won't be able to hold the pace much longer.
Baratheon is curiously in 0 Points after a disastrous attack on Martell that ended with an attacking Siege destroyed. I expected Baratheon's points to be low due to not having much swords, but not this low. We'll see how it goes... maybe the Neutral garrisons should indeed be counted, Braavos could be challenged by Stark (as in this game) or Arryn.