Tournament - Valyrian Cup

For all discussions about A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, that do not fit in any other category.
Ruse_Bolton
Reactions: 1
Favorite AGOT House: Tyrell

kolasaft wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 16:52 Hey, I think this kingmaker thing will probably be lead to some difficult calls.

It can definitely happen that some player just failed to see a "play" which would've stopped player X from winning and then being accused of being a kingmaker.

Another scenario I can imagine is that say, Stark breaks a Non-aggression pact with GJ, resulting in GJ focusing the rest of the game on attacking Stark - simply out of spite... Even if that means giving Lannister free rein/win... fair or not? It can make sense to signal that you punish people who betray you very harshly if a group is playing multiple rounds.

I think some kind of adjudication system should be set up. Say, some players who are kind of known get called in to adjudicate, eg jhjh_108, secret_strategem, Crown, Zeb, Gereon (...??)
I Agree, Kingmaking can be a hard call. In many cases, kingmaking does not apply. It is only those cases of obvious kingmaking that will be judged upon. To use your example, the only obligation GJ would have is to stop Lannister from achieving his 7 castles. If Greyjoy left a castle absent, allowing lannister to obtain his 7th castle, for example, this would be kingmaking. If Greyjoy had an obvious opportunity to stop lannister from obtaining his 7th castle, provided it would not lead to himself placing in a lower position, this would also be kingmaking. If greyjoy provided support to lannister to obtain his 7th castle, again, kingmaking. In almost all other cases, kingmaking would not be called.

Mistakes can be made, and that would be taken into account. I also would like to add responsibility for other players to point out possible moves that could stop an opponent from winning. After all, first place should be your ultimate goal.
A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.
18HopeCSF
Reactions: 0
Favorite AGOT House: Arryn

I just updated the table with all the games, sad to see we already have some games stuck in turn 1 or 2...

By the way Ruse, I applied your criteria of considering 2 people tied in castles as same position (That means in game might be 1 player in 1st place, 3 players in 2nd place and 2 players in 3rd place). BUT I personally don't agree with that idea... Rules state tie breaking options to decide winner of the game, and even though the rules don't care about the following places, I think the same criteria should be applied.

Also, having 1 person in each of the 6 positions (1st, 2nd, ... 6th) makes for a more ample range of points, making maybe a difference of decimals in the final standings.
"Many people have died for their beliefs; it’s actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe"
kolasaft

18HopeCSF wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 19:01 I just updated the table with all the games, sad to see we already have some games stuck in turn 1 or 2...

By the way Ruse, I applied your criteria of considering 2 people tied in castles as same position (That means in game might be 1 player in 1st place, 3 players in 2nd place and 2 players in 3rd place). BUT I personally don't agree with that idea... Rules state tie breaking options to decide winner of the game, and even though the rules don't care about the following places, I think the same criteria should be applied.

Also, having 1 person in each of the 6 positions (1st, 2nd, ... 6th) makes for a more ample range of points, making maybe a difference of decimals in the final standings.
I second this! Given that we are playing with the standard rule set from every other aspect, I don't see why we're suddenly going to ignore the official rules regarding victory/tiebreaking.

Stark will definitely be benefitted if we run with these kinds of rules. One alternative is to go for something like "total mustering power", i.e. three strongholds yield 6 mustering power and one stronghold plus four castles also yield 6 mustering power. With the standard rule set, the latter would be ranked way higher than the former.
Ruse_Bolton
Favorite AGOT House: Tyrell

Fair points, and I completely agree. There will be no tied positions. Standard tie-breaking rules will apply.
A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.
kolasaft

Hey! As we’re approaching the end of most of the qualifier games, I think we should start thinking about how to proceed. It’s taken very long…

I suggest we do the groups in terms of time zones or by “active hours” systems.

So I basically imagine that we could have two-three groups:
1. Europe
2. Europe
3. North America
Wherein each group independently decides on a day when they play live for 2 hours or so (and then transition to PBEM until the game is finished)

Alternatively, live play hours:
1. Live play Fridays 7-9 PM, GMT+1
2. Live play Saturdays 7-9 PM, GMT+1
3. Live play Saturdays 11-13 AM, GMT -7
4. Live play Saturdays 7-9 PM, GMT-4

This one could be mixed with pbem

Also, is someone updating the excel spreadsheet?
Tex

Great initiative with this cup! =) Actively following this :)
18HopeCSF

I stopped updating the Excel, it became too complicated with everyone leaving, replacing and becoming Vassals....

If I may, I think we should take the opportunity of Targaryen Addition to make a reset. And we should select 8 players commited to finish the 8 games without leaving/replacing/vassaling/etc....

We could make 8 games, with password and House Selection so each player plays exactly once with each House.

(I'll see if I have a moment at some point to update the Excel, no promises though)
"Many people have died for their beliefs; it’s actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe"
kolasaft

I see, but at least the preliminary matches give some kind of indication of who the active players are.

I'm not as convinced that doing a Targaryen Valyrian Cup is a great idea. Mostly because it's so new and there might be a lot of bugs and because of balancing (?).

It's also just so much easier if we do 6 houses, 6 games. All played simultaneously

I think getting something like 12 relatively active players is realistic right? Based off what I've seen that seems like a reasonable number to me at least