Tournament - Valyrian Cup

For all discussions about A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, that do not fit in any other category.
Ruse_Bolton
Reactions: 1
Favorite AGOT House: Tyrell

Hail fellow lords and ladies,

This thread contains all of the information regarding the "Valyrian Cup", an ongoing series of tournaments with a ladder system containing detailed statistics of each player.

Format
The Valyrian Cup will take place monthly, using the classic Clash of Kings rule set. Each player will have the opportunity to participate in an equal amount of games to keep the ladder system accurate of skill level.

The Cup will take place over seasons of 6 months
  • Month 1 - Qualifying rounds
    The qualifying rounds will be open for all to join, with randomized houses. These games will have their own point system, separate from playoffs. This is to determine how many players we have in the tournament and those that are serious or not. We encourage you to join games with a variety of different players to harness your skills.
Note: At this stage, we will be staying in the qualifying round stage for a few months. Given the tournament is just starting, we want to give players the chance to get involved with the competition.

• Month 2, 3 and 4 - Playoffs
    The playoffs will put players into groups of 6. Those groups will play in a series of 6 games, giving each player an opportunity to play each house once. These games will kick off the point system you can see below. Each month players will be put into different groups than the last.
  • Month 5 - The Semi's
    The top 18 players will be placed into 3 groups that will play the same format as the playoffs to determine the final 6 players on the ladder.
  • Months 6 - The Finals
    The top 6 players on the ladder will battle it out in 12 matches, each player will play each house 2 times. These games will determine the overall victor and the holder of the treasured Valyrian Cup.

Speed
Games will be pbem by default, however, if all parties agree, a game may be set to live.

Players are expected to make a minimum of 2 turns per day(24 hours). We encourage you to play as many moves as you can but understand that we all have other commitments.

If you fail to make a turn within 12 hours of the time your move starts, you will be penalized 2 ladder points, and a further point for every 6 hours following. After 48 hours of inactivity, you will be kicked from the game.
If you foresee you will not be able to make turns, or can not complete the game, let your opponents know and we will arrange for a replacement.

Point System
Qualifying Rounds
Given there will be a variance in games played by each player, players will receive 3 points for a victory and 1 point for every castle owned at the end of the game. Your total point value will then be divided by the number of games played.

Playoffs, Semi's, Finals
Players will receive 3 points for a victory and 1 point for every castle owned at the end of the game.

Alliances
Please keep alliances fair and reasonable. There is no reason to ally with a player before the game starts, especially since teams are randomly set.
Do not ally with your friend/s to climb the ladder. This ladder is designed for accurate statistics of each player, teaming will be obvious.

Offenses
Kingmaking. In short, unfairly helping another player win the game.
Unreasonably harassing other players.

Offenses will result in a kick, and disqualification from further Valyrian cup matches for 2 months.

Ladder ranking
Pre-season Qualifying ladder standing can be found here

Playoff through finals ladder standings can be found here.

Enjoy and please ask any questions on this thread or via private message.
Further information to come.

A special thanks to 18HopeCSF for assisting in the creation of ladder documents, and constructive input into tournament layout.

Ruse_Bolton
1 Image
Last edited by Ruse_Bolton on 19 Jun 2021, 01:11, edited 15 times in total.
A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.
Gereon
Reactions: 11
Favorite AGOT House: Stark

Thx Ruse_Bolton for your commitment here and managing this tournament!
18HopeCSF
Reactions: 0
Favorite AGOT House: Arryn

Nice to see a tournament will take place!

What does this mean: "using the classic Clash of Kings rule set with ranomised houses"??

Shouldn't it be fairer to make each person play each house once?
"Many people have died for their beliefs; it’s actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe"
Ruse_Bolton

18HopeCSF wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:17 Nice to see a tournament will take place!

What does this mean: "using the classic Clash of Kings rule set with ranomised houses"??

Shouldn't it be fairer to make each person play each house once?
This is a very good point and I was thinking this myself, and really would like to discuss how we can make this work.

The trouble I feel that we will run into is player and game numbers. The systems you suggested where every person plays each house once, means 6 games per group, a fair amount of games before you get to play others. I worry that since this tournament is just beginning, and may not be taken 100% seriously by players, enthusiasm would run out before 6 games are played.

Potentially the initial game could be randomized houses, and from there have a rotation of the houses.

I would love a big discussion on these points, and am taking recruitments for tournament adminitrators since it is just myself at this point.
18HopeCSF

Yeah... I understand the big problem you might have is commitment. Considering that, it could work for a time to have a single table with games played/victory/positions/etc. I suppose it would be quite strange that the system allocates one player 3 times in a row to play as Greyjoy.

If you want I made a table like that for use with my National teamates in Thronemaster, because we basically play a lot of games together but not everyone plays the same amount of games... I'll make a copy and adapt it a bit to share it with you so it serves you, although it's made in Excel not Google (it uses table-cross references).
"Many people have died for their beliefs; it’s actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe"
Ruse_Bolton

Agreed, I can understand how it could be unfair if you never get an opportunity to play your favourite house, or if you get stark 3 games in a row (boring!).

Could you make the first month essentially qualifying games, where it is randomised, to determine the players that are serious? These could just record wins/losses and not apply the point systems, then the second month could be 6 games per group.

Absolutely, i would love any help and contribution you can muster!
Ruse_Bolton

I just added some extra information about the format, does this seem like a viable format that solves these problems?
18HopeCSF

I just sent you the table for you to check... And about the format, I think it'd be wise to stick to the "Qualification" phase for the moment. As you said, to feel a bit the ground. It could even serve as a sort of "Rank" for the site players maybe.

And also... are you sure about the limit to 2 plays with another player? It seems it'll have to be watched intensively to asure it's correct. Quite a lot of work...
Ruse_Bolton

Very helpful thank you.

It is not essential, and I was not going to watch it too closely. I just worry the same players will join all the games together, which might not allow new players to join games.
kolasaft

Hey, I think this kingmaker thing will probably be lead to some difficult calls.

It can definitely happen that some player just failed to see a "play" which would've stopped player X from winning and then being accused of being a kingmaker.

Another scenario I can imagine is that say, Stark breaks a Non-aggression pact with GJ, resulting in GJ focusing the rest of the game on attacking Stark - simply out of spite... Even if that means giving Lannister free rein/win... fair or not? It can make sense to signal that you punish people who betray you very harshly if a group is playing multiple rounds.

I think some kind of adjudication system should be set up. Say, some players who are kind of known get called in to adjudicate, eg jhjh_108, secret_strategem, Crown, Zeb, Gereon (...??)